Yes. Chicken again. But trust me, this chicken dish is different. It’s a mix of flavors you probably don’t get on a regular basis. Give it a try, I think you’ll like it. My family loves it, even my sort- of picky daughter.
If you’re making the whole meal (the rice and the peas) check out the directions in the recipe below. You’ll want to get the rice and peas started before you start the chicken. They’ll do their thing while you work on the chicken.
One of my biggest defenses against wimping out of making dinner is to have the meat all precut and stored in meal-sized portions in the freezer. It’s amazing what a difference just having that step done can make. Plus, I save money by buying my chicken in bulk. You can read more about where I get my chicken and how I package it (40 pounds!) here.
Once you’ve cooked your chicken for a few minutes on each side, add the garlic and onion and allow that to brown for about 2 minutes.
Then add your remaining ingredients, except the butter and almonds.
Let that simmer for about 12-15 minutes.
When you’re just about ready to serve, add the butter and simmer until the sauce begins to thicken.
Pour your rice out onto a family sized platter and top it with this beautiful chicken mixture, and top that with a generous portion of sliced almonds.
And don’t forget to serve the peas. (It’s my job to remind you to eat your veggies.)
Oh, and don’t forget to pull that bay leaf out. Nobody wants to eat a bay leaf.
- 1-1½ Lb boneless chicken breast
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup olives (with pimentos), chopped
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 TBSP butter, chopped into pieces
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- For The Rice
- 1 cup basmati or jasmine rice
- For The Peas With Onion
- 2 cups frozen peas
- generous pinch salt
- ½ onion, sliced
- Bring 2 cups water and 1 tsp salt to a boil in a saucepan with a cover.
- Add rice, stir, cover and turn off heat.
- Allow rice to cook for 20 minutes without stirring or removing cover.
- If serving with peas with onion:
- Place peas, onion, and salt in a saucepan and cover with water
- Simmer for 20 minutes
- For the chicken dish:
- Cut chicken into 1-2 inch pieces and season with salt & pepper.
- Lightly coat a large skillet with olive oil, heat on med-high.
- Brown chicken 2 minutes on each side.
- Chop or grate garlic.
- Chop onion and olives.
- Add 1 TBSP oil to the skillet, add onion and garlic and saute about 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the butter and almonds.
- Allow to simmer 12-15 minutes, until chicken is cooked and sauce begins to reduce
- Add the butter, allow sauce to thicken.
- Transfer rice to a platter.
- Pour chicken mixture over the rice, sprinkle almonds on top.
- Drain peas and serve.