I personally don’t like clam chowder so when I make this for my husband I make corn chowder for the kids and me. I start it all in the same pot, cooking the potatoes and adding the milk. I then separate it into two pots. I add the clams and broccoli to one pot and the corn to the other.
Here’s the recipe for my Corn Chowder.
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1-2 cans minced clams, drained
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 cup frozen broccoli
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cube chicken bouillon (opt)
- ¼ cup minced onion (opt)
- 1 box/ bag of oyster crackers OR
- saltine type crackers
- Peel and cube potatoes.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cool water.
- Add carrots, salt, onion, broccoli and bouillon to potatoes and cook until potatoes
- are just tender.
- When potatoes are tender, drain most of the water but not all of it.
- Add evaporated milk and clams, and S& P to taste.
- If it isn’t thick enough, stir 1 TBSP corn starch into ½ cup cold water and add to soup. Allow to thicken.
- Serve with crackers.