The title is no exaggeration.
Any time my family and I are going to a gathering like a family picnic or a church life group meeting, I never have to wonder what food I’ll bring to share. The group always says “And you’ll bring your potato salad, right Beth?”
Of course I can’t resist such loyal fans so I agree. Sometimes I bring a dessert too, just to mix things up a little.
It’s pictured here with some grilled Cheddarwurst, which is not really all that healthy and yet somehow made it onto our Summer Meal Plan, week 3. My line of thinking here is that it’s still better than eating out, and it allows us to still have some summer favorites without ditching our health altogether! But it goes really well with hamburgers, which is what we usually eat it with.
Are we ready to make some potato salad?
This is one of those “Spoonful of this, dash of that” kinds of recipes. I’ll do my very best to give good measurements but you’ll have to be flexible and work with it until it’s how you want it.
We prefer this salad cold, so start it with plenty of time to allow the potatoes and eggs to cool, and to even chill the whole thing in the fridge for a while.
- 6-8 medium potatoes
- 6-8 eggs
- large spoonful (about 3 tablespoons) Miracle Whip
- 1 TBSP mustard
- 1 Tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 8-10 sweet gherkins pickles, chopped small
- ½ cucumber, peeled and chopped, optional
- ½ cup frozen peas (no need to cook, just add to hot potatoes) optional
- Peel and cube about 6-8 medium potatoes. Yellow are fine, but a combination of yellow or white mixed with some red, unpeeled, makes a great salad.
- Boil until just tender, in salted water.
- Meanwhile, boil about the same number of eggs as potatoes. (Set in a pan of cold water. Bring to a boil. Cover. Turn heat off but leave pan on burner. Cook for 10 minutes.)
- Drain potatoes but don't rinse. Allow to cool.
- Remove eggs from hot water (I replace with cold water to help them cool faster.)
- When cool, remove shells and cut into small chunks.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, eggs, and all other ingredients.
- Add more seasoning to taste.
- Chill until ready to serve.