Don’t hate me for sharing this recipe.
It’s not exactly health food.
But it could be worse.
And yet, it could hardly be better.
You really don’t even need the toast.
It’s just there to hold the syrup.
It’s very easy. Just Get a heavy pot (not huge, just heavy so it won’t burn.) and boil everything except the vanilla and baking soda for 7 minutes. Stir it often but don’t worry about it if you have to stop for a few seconds here and there.
After the 7 minutes, remove from heat and add the vanilla then the baking soda.
Be prepared for it to bubble up; it’s the baking soda.
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup butter
- 2 tblsp. corn syrup
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp vanilla
- In a heavy pot, bring all of the ingredients except the vanilla and baking soda to a boil over medium heat.
- Cook for about 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and baking soda.
- The baking soda will cause it to bubble up a bit.
- Serve while warm on french toast, waffles, or pancakes. Or just eat it with a spoon! 😉
I want to give a shout out to Krista, from Budget Gourmet Mom. I originally found this recipe for Buttermilk Syrup on her site. It seems as though she would agree with me about getting a spoon!
This post is linking up here: