It’s not a taco, it’s not a burrito. It’s the best of both. And it’s fun and pretty!
This is an easy “go-to” lunch because you can keep many of the elements on hand in your freezer. I always have taco meat, refried beans, and Mexican cheese blend in my freezer. And we almost always have everything else except maybe not the salsa. But these would be good even without the salsa.
These would be fun for the kids to help with because there is very little cooking and mostly layering. All those years of making you a meal out of play dough could finally pay off. And, since they helped make it, maybe they’ll eat it! I don’t know, it’s worth a try anyway.
So it’s pretty much take a tortilla and layer all this yummy stuff on it.
For spreadability purposes, I’d begin with the beans, then move on to the sour cream, then meat, then the remaining layers in whatever order you like. Take it easy though, you need to be able to roll this thing. Oh, and don’t go all the way out to the edge. You know what happens to filling when you start rolling stuff. It all squished to the edges. So leave yourself a nice little margin (about an inch.)
This is pretty healthy lunch; I hope you enjoy it!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning OR:
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped or grated
- 1 small onion, chopped small
- 1 jalapeno (opt.), seeded and minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper sauce (opt.)
- 1 TBSP soy sauce
- 1 cup (or one can) refried beans
- ½ cup salsa or pico de gallo
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup Mexican cheese blend
- 1 head romaine lettuce, cut into thin slices, or ribbons
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet.
- If using seasoning packet, follow directions.
- If seasoning your own;
- add seasonings to ground beef as it browns.
- Simmer until the onions are tender and seasonings have developed their flavor, about 10 minutes.
- For each roll-up;
- Lay one flour tortilla on your cooking surface.
- Leaving some space around the edges,spread with a layer of each element, in this order;
- refried beans
- sour cream
- taco meat
- pico de gallo or salsa
- Shredded cheese
- Roll the tortilla tightly, cut in half, enjoy with chips & salsa!
This post is participating in the following linkups: