This is one of my favorite muffins.
It started with my grandmother’s recipe for blueberry muffins, which I always loved as a child. But it wasn’t the healthiest breakfast; white flour, vegetable oil, white sugar, yikes! So, I altered it a bit, and now I make good old fashioned (but healthier) blueberry as well as this beautiful twist; strawberry -lemon. Yum!
The recipe isn’t fussy. Just throw everything in a bowl and mix it up.
This is our “big purple bowl”. I tried to get rid of it, explaining that it doesn’t look good with my website. But my daughter (getting her sense of sentimentality from her Daddy and clearly not from me) wouldn’t have it. She said this is our popcorn bowl and it has too many memories to get rid of it. Guess I need to be very careful about what I bring into the house!
Lightly spray your muffin pans with cooking spray and fill to about 2/3 full. Bake until fluffy and golden brown.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (or 1 cup each of whole wheat and white)
- ⅔ cups sucanat (or sugar)
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 1 tsp salt (heaping if you're using course)
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup milk (coconut milk works here)
- ¼ cup coconut oil or your favorite cooking oil
- 1½ cups chopped fresh strawberries
- zest of one lemon
- juice from ½ a lemon
- preheat oven to 400°
- Chop your strawberries into small pieces.
- Zest your lemon and then squeeze the juice from ½ of it into a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients, stirring just until combined.
- Spray your muffin pan lightly with cooking spray.
- Using a cookie scoop, fill each cup about ⅔ full with batter.
- Bake until golden and they bounce back when you touch them. About 15-20 minutes.
Linking up with: