Raise your hand if you’re ready for some new lunch ideas.
I know I am! We’ve gotten in a rut around here, finding it difficult to think of anything we want for lunch.
So what’s a mom to do but revert to her own childhood? What’s something yummy I haven’t had in a while?
Ah… Tuna Macaroni Salad. Pretty much the salad I’m about to show you only with different pasta.
I discovered one afternoon, after finding that we were out of elbow macaroni, that I really like this salad with bow-tie instead. (Actually I like it both ways, which is helpful.)
My Dad used to make this on hot summer days. Now that I think of it though, he would have had peas in it. Can’t believe I forgot the peas! I’ll include them in the recipe below that you can print for future use. (On one of those days that you need some inspiration!)
This is a stand-by meal for us because it’s pretty likely that we’ll have most of the ingredients on hand. Maybe not a fresh tomato but it would be fine without–especially if you use those peas we were just mentioning.
It’s a quick lunch and has some good nutritional value. I know that white pasta isn’t the best (and I’m really not sure I want to know what’s in Miracle Whip) but our goal is to make homemade meals instead of purchasing packaged foods. If we have to compromise some, we do that in order to find the balance that makes eating healthier possible. (If you want to make it with whole wheat pasta, I’ll cheer for you!)
So, cook yourself some pasta, open a can of tuna, and enjoy your lunch!
- 2 cups bow tie pasts-uncooked
- 1 can tuna, drained
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- ½ tomato, chopped
- ½ cup frozen peas--uncooked
- ½ green or red pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup Miracle Whip (plus or minus to taste)
- 1-2 tsp fresh lemon juice-optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Put frozen peas into a large bowl.
- Chop remaining vegetables.
- Drain cooked pasta (don't rinse) and add to the bowl with the frozen peas.
- Gently toss the pasta and the peas until mixed.
- When the pasts had cooled, add the other vegetables.
- Drain tuna, break up with a fork and add to the bowl.
- Add Miracle Whip and lemon juice if using.
- Taste, you may want to add some salt and pepper.
- Excellent served right away or chilled for later.
How about a few more lunch ideas?
Lasagna Grilled Cheese