I’ve been wanting to include Beef with Broccoli in my Seasonal Meal Plans for a long time now, but I’ve been having a hard time finding a recipe that I really like.
Enter my friend Kim. I asked, (on Facebook) she answered, and sent me this recipe. Thanks Kim! I love it!
As long as you get the steak marinading a bit ahead of time, you’re good to go. (Honestly, I’m sure it would be pretty good even if you forgot, but don’t tell anyone I said that.)
Ready for some Way-Better-Than-Take-Out Beef with Broccoli?
Start by mixing the marinade ingredients and slicing the beef into thin slices.
Mix the strips of beef into the marinade (put it all into a sealable bag and squish it all around until the meat is evenly coated.) Then refrigerate at least an hour.
When you’re ready to finish the meal, begin with the rice.( We use Basmati because it has the same texture as white but is better for you.)
Bring 2 cups of water and 1 tsp salt to a boil.
Add 1 cup of rice. Stir once. Cover, turn heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes. Don’t stir.
Now, while your rice is cooking, you can work on the beef & Broccoli.
In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients, set aside.
Add about 2 TBSP oil to a large pan and heat on med-high. Cook broccoli for about 3 minutes and then remove to a plate or bowl.
In same pan, add a little more oil and brown beef strips on both sides and continue to cook until cooked all the way through.
(You’re not done, I just wanted to remind you what you’re going for! )
Add your sauce and broccoli to the pan with the steak strips and cook for about 2 minutes. If the sauce gets too thick, just add some water, a little bit at time.
And you’re done!
Seriously. You couldn’t have sent your husband for take-out in that amount of time! And think about the money you’ll save! This is a super-affordable and delicious meal. I hope you love it!
- For the Marinade:
- • ½ tsp baking soda
- • 1 tsp sugar
- • 1 tbsp cornstarch
- • 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- • 1 tbsp water
- • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- • 1 ½ lbs flank steak, sliced into thin strips
- • ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- • 2 tbsp brown sugar
- • 4 cloves garlic, minced
- • 2tbsp flour
- • 1 tbsp cooking sherry
- • 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- • 2 heads broccoli, crowns only
- In a medium bowl, mix the marinade ingredients, excluding the steak.
- Toss the steak with the marinade to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Cook rice while finishing the dish (see post for instructions for rice.)
- Mix all sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Lightly coat a large skillet with about 2 TBSP oil.
- Add broccoli and cook on med-high for about 3 minutes.
- Transfer broccoli to a plate or bowl for now.
- Add another TBSP of oil and add steak to hot pan.
- Cook until browned on each side and done all the way through.
- Add the sauce and broccoli and cook for 2 more minutes. If the sauce gets too thick you can add more water, a little bit at a time.
- Serve over rice.
Linking up with: